Wednesday, January 23, 2013

New chips, pendants and a torch wielding Mamba

Hello hello. Welcome to Freia’s new old but maybe resurrected blog. :D As I’ve mentioned elsewhere, I am trying to put several new things in place for this year as I try to take my new shiny hobby and let it become the accidental business it seems to want to be. I just got my business name approval this morning, yay for that. Now I can fire off the business card order and some other official type things I’ve been waiting to pull the trigger on. The new website seems to finally be up, running and working like a charm. Big yay for that. The new website doesn’t have a blog however, and being a blogger at heart, having no blog makes me twitch a little. So I’ve come back here, to Freia’s original blog / old hiding place. *spreads arms and slowly spins ‘round* Whatch’ya think? :D This is most likely where Freia me will be playing now. Welcome to mah place. Some less admin, more shiny new type things I’ve got going on… New simple pendants (I love simple), Tourmaline, Charoite and a faceted Iolite ring thaaaat….I’m not satisfied with just quite yet.


The simple pendants are waiting for my new chain order, then they’ll be ready to rock and roll. The Iolite ring… dunno. May need to go back to the drawing board with that one.

With Valentine’s Day coming, I went in search of some … hearts… yesterday. Not sure what my problem is, but hearts and I just don’t mix. I seem to be allergic. It’s so weird. I looked and looked, twitched a little, and ended up with chips.

Chips are so not hearts.

Oh well. They will be for my new spring trees. :D


The pic didn’t turn out so great. They are…

Fluorite: Beautiful mix of translucent blues, greens and purples. Makes me think of Easter. Not sure why exactly.
Ametrine: Nice light lavender color. May mix those up with some Amethyst and Citrine.
Ruby: Raw natural rubies. Different shades of reds and browns.
Peru Opal:  Lovely white to a peachy pink color.

Winter still in full swing here, and me freezing my tuckus off dreaming of spring, new trees will most likely be coming quick so I can pretend spring is in the air.

Some of the totally new, never done it before kind of things I want to do this year is … soldering. I reeeeeeeeeeally would like to learn that. I got myself a torch last year, along with a few other things they say I need. For Christmas, daughter got me a pickle pot and a how to book. Last night I decided to break it all out and give her a go.





That’s my torch and pickle pot. Aren’t they cute? :D

Since I’ve never done this before, or even tried to so much as light a torch, I thought I’d keep it simple. The plan was… headpins. Easy peasy. Right? Right.

*sigh* or not.

I started with the pickle. Read the directions, mixed it up, easy peasy. Filled my pickle pot but had too much. The directions said to store pickle in glass, plastic or ceramic container. ‘k. I can do that. I have… plastic. *double checked storage container list* Yep, it says plastic. The next part went a little like this…

*pours pickle into plastic container*
*puts lid on so it doesn’t spill because I’m smart*
*turns to grab pickle pot to put in crock and heat*
*turns back in time to see pickle seep out the bottom of plastic container all over kitchen counter, floor and sink*

Shitfuck that can’t be good.

Turns out “Pickle” is just some kind of slang word for… acid. Acid is totally what you want spilled all over your kitchen.

Oh, wait. No it’s not. O.O

Solder lesson #1: How to neutralize acid by pouring baking soda all over your kitchen.

Look at me go with the learnin’ :D :D

Got that mess all cleaned up, and carried on. Took me a while, but I finally figured out how to get the darn torch lit. Not sure why I had so much trouble, the darn thing seems to be idiot proof. We won’t look at that too closely to determine what that makes me.

Moving on.

I finally got it working, fiddled with it and went for it. Took the torch to some silver, pickled the fire scale off, buffed them up a bit and ended up with…





Headpins.

Not sure what I think of them yet. They look rather… organic. Pretty sure I need more practice. I meant to actually make something with them, some 'Morning Glory Flowering Vine earrings" or some such thing that's rolling around in my brain but I ran out of steam by this point and decided to end on a win and call it a night.

Maybe I shall have more torch play tonight. We’ll see how it goes.

Anyhoo, that’s all for me, for now.

Later taters!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...